Thursday, November 27, 2008

Day 5 & 6









Pictures...1) getting whooped at chess. 2) typical Kyiv apartment building. There are just thousands of these. 3) beautiful Sasha, 4) store with name that makes us giggle everytime we see it. Yes--we are children.

Okay... the first few days were fun adventures. Yesterday and today, we can start to see how this is going to get tiresome. It gets dark here at 4:30, and I don't like to be out walking around in the dark. So, in the evenings, we've been drinking "peevo", playing gin, and watching a DVD.

Sleeping is still challenging. Advice to other families coming soon--bring sleeping pills. I'm glad to have them.

Yesterday, we met Beth and kids and Ilona for tea. Then, we walked around a lot, and stopped at a grocery store. That's it. Tonight, we're meeting Beth's family, Ilona, Olena, and Z and V for a Thanksgiving dinner at a nice restaurant. That will be fun.

This weekend, we may be able to keep V at our one-room flat with us. We have a couch-bed. We might try to find a toy store to pick up a game or two. Otherwise, it'll be a long weekend of Uno and Connect-4.

No pickle sandwich this morning for breakfast. Todd got potato pancakes with ham on top. Yum.

We're on pins and needles waiting to hear the court date.

Here are the lyrics to our favorite thumping background music here:
Thump, thump, thump
kiss me baby baby baby
touch me baby baby baby
all night all night
kiss me baby baby baby
(REPEAT X 300000)
Love you all. Thanks for comments. Boots are great :O)

5 comments:

The Riekerts said...

You guys are making me laugh every day with your adventures and misadventures. Hang in there and enjoy the Thanksgiving dinner!! Kristen and Family

Dr. H. Kirikizu said...

It has been enjayable following your adventure. I am so glad that I found your Blog. It is good that you have been able to take the challenges of international adoption and turn them into an experience that is enjoyable. You will remember this trip to the Ukraine for the rest of your life (so will Vadim). Vadim seems so happy! His face is nothing but one big smile in every picture. I hope that you enjoy your sleep-over this weekend. It will be hard to take him back on Monday. I hope that you make it home in time for the holidays.

Kimbell and Mark said...

I LOVE the pictures of Vadim. I thought he smiled a lot this summer - but wow the look of PURE JOY in his face. Thanks for the picture of Sasha - our sweet baby girl. Have fun at dinner tonight with your precious little guests. Nice.

Mark and I cracked up at the store name. Humor is a good way to get through - and sounds like you still have plenty of it. We made up so many of our own little jokes - and would continually crack ourselves up. I can't wait to get my hands on Vadim. You tell him that we're looking forward to taking him to Kings Island this year!

Had a great day with Jake yesterday. He's doing great. Oh - tell Vadim that Anastasia and I are playing Uno with him here so he'll be ready to challenge Vadim when he comes here.

Laurel said...

Robin,
I think that sign says "discount" - I wonder if it means the same thing there as here? Isn't weird to hear all that loud music in English? Most people there don't even know what it's saying - poor you!
We are on pins and needles with you waiting on the court date. we are praying that it's soon!

junglemama said...

What a neat adventure!