Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Pre-Trip Swirl




We're getting ready to go to the Ukraine. Beth sent us this picture of Vadim just this week. I am nervous about a lot of things, but then I think of Vadim's rib-crushing hug and smiling face, and I just can't wait to get there.

I am also overwhelmed with the tedious details, like finding boots that are somewhere near feminine that are also warm and comfortable. This is what I came up with. Jake thinks they're embarrassing. He might be right. Anyway, everyone I talk to sees how distracted I am, and I'm forgetting appoitnments and the details of life right and left while in the midst of the trip-preparation swirl.

Mainly this week, I'm thankful. We put out this website 2 weeks ago, www.savevadim.com in order to fill family and friends in about our decision to adopt, and to ask for help. We've just been amazed by the response. We've raised the money we were short in order to go get him and somehow not rack up thousands in credit card debt. I was so hesitant about asking for help, but I do now believe that more than the money, it was just a gift to see so many people care and want to be a part of what we're doing. Asking for help moved this adventure from something that Todd and Robin are doing, to something that God is doing through a big bunch of people who want to spread the love.

6 comments:

Kimbell and Mark said...

i think your boots are beautiful!! :) Too bad I already sent my boots with Beth! They look a lot like yours. I can't wait till you guys are over there together. tried to call you today - beth saw vadim and said he was ADORABLE. he was the hall monitor at school - all smiles!

Jill said...

I love the boots!

Good luck. We will take good care of Jake. Don't worry too much.

Can't wait until you are back with Vadim in tow!

Love you!

Laurel said...

The boots look very Ukrainian with the fur on the top. You'll fit right in! I'm so happy for you to be on your way - yeah!!!!!!!!! Praying for safe and uneventful travels and that your luggage arrives when you do. :-)
Laurel

adopting2fromUkraine said...

Hi,

I just found your blog through Beth P.'s. We have a 12yo daughter that has been home for 7 months now. Our SDA appointment was December 12, 2007.

Whatever boots you wear, make sure they are comfortable for walking. You will be doing A LOT over there, as well as running! lol

I wore some flat, furry, suede boots.
They were so comfy. They felt like house shoes and could take a lot of walking. The only bad thing was that I wore them all the time while in Ukraine and can't bring myself to put them on again!:0 lol

Oh, and make sure your boots are waterproof.

I look forward to following your journey:)
June

Debora Hoffmann said...

Those are cool boots. You will be warm, and that's what counts. :-)

Go get Vadim! He looks like such a sweet boy. God bless you on your journey.

Kimbell and Mark said...

Hope you get internet soon. glad you are settled in - will be praying tomorrow during your appt. Want to hear every detail of how Vadim reacted when you got there. Oh I bet it was good!
XO