Saturday, December 13, 2008

Bye Todd--Dec. 13th





Todd is flying over Norway as I type, on his way back home to our boy. I'm simultaneously excited for Jake to get his daddy back and for Todd to get to enjoy normal coffee, but...now I'm on my own for the rest of it.

Not really on my own though, b/c I moved in with Beth this morning. I will enjoy her company, and it will help to go through it with her.

This apartment is bigger than our previous flat, and there's internet--Yay!

The 5 American families here, their adoptive kids, and Sasha went to dinner at Fridays last night. Despite horrible traffic, it was fun. See picture.

Here are some pics from walking around by the new apartment. The top one is puzzling. Notice the tank, the tents, the bricked outhouse-looking structure with a gold topper. Hmm...any ideas?

The bottom is a Christmas tree going up at Independence square.

I'm really tired of smelling like smoke. Lots of smoking here.

I'll get Vadim tomorrow (Sunday) and do something with him. It's his last weekend at the orphanage. This Friday, I'll take my son out of there for good.

Every time I start to feel sorry for myself at how it's seeming to drag on, I try to remember to be grateful that we're moving through it, and that we'll have him home soon.

Love to everyone.

6 comments:

Kimbell and Mark said...

I love the group pic - I've been looking at everyones and it's cool how they are all just a little bit different - one thing the same in every one - Vadim, Todd L. and Tom all have HUGE smiles on their faces!! (wonder if that's cause Tom and Todd know they're headed HOME!) Thanks for the pic of Sasha - I had to laugh at the ketchup right by her - she puts ketchup on EVERYTHING! Have fun with Beth.

Laurel said...

Oh, Robin, hang in there!!! You're on the home stretch now. Jake will be in great hands with Daddy and you'll be in great hands with Beth. Friday will be a miraculous day for you and Vadim when you can finally take him for good. It's so nice when you can finally stop asking permission to be with your son!!!! Thanks for the pics.

adopting2fromUkraine said...

We were there last year when the tree was going up. At first we didn't realize what was going on. Mostly because, well, the TV is in Russian! We have some great pictures and video of the finished product. It is beautiful, especially at night. There are about 4 different light patterns on the tree. It will still be up mid-January. (that's when we left this past January) Hopefully, you won't be there that long.

June

The Riekerts said...

So happy to actually see the words- LAST WEEKEND IN THE ORPHANAGE!! Seeing you all in Kiev with your kids is one of the most magnificent sights I have ever seen. Goosebumps, here!! Tell everyone HI please.... Later, Kristen

OksanaH said...

Robin, I am so happy for your family and can not wait to see all of you back in Cincinnati. I can not even imagine how much you miss Jake ! i am sure you are so anxious to see him, just hang in there ! It is so amazing that you are at this stage of the process already ! It was the best case scenario and you are achieving it !!! Blessings to all who are involved in this happening !!!

P.S. Building on the picture looks like Russian Orthodox church

Ruth Benander said...

Hey Robin,
I know I'm a geek but I love your ethnographic pictures! They give such a great feel for the place where you are, although I know you can't wait to be back in the Midwest. Thanks for the reference to the English Major's t-shirt: I loved the whole selection. I also liked "it's as easy as 3.141592". I know what you are doing is hard, but at the end of it all, you have a bigger happy family. Therefore, I don't think you need to feel any guilt about the final exam thing. That is what I am doing now, and what do *I* get at the end? Brain fuzz. So, to paraphrase the young scholars, we, as people in society, look forward to your return.